A fitness tracker is a multifunctional device that allows you to control physical activity and rationally distribute loads during training. This is a trainer, nutritionist and personal consultant who is with you 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. Not bad right? Readable indicators, continuous monitoring and reminders serve as a powerful motivation, expressed in numbers. The fitness tracker works in tandem with a special smartphone application, through which settings are configured and detailed statistics are viewed. Most devices have a display that displays information in the form of icons, graphs, numbers.
Conventionally, all fitness trackers can be divided into:
- Models for beginners who need extra motivation. Such trackers have basic functions and a wide range of different notifications.
- Heaped up models for the pros, with the maximum number of various sensors.
- Multifunction trackers. Not yet a smart watch, but not only a fitness tracker. Such models are equipped with a large screen with a sensor that allows you to see more information.
Manufacturers are trying to surprise customers and supply their devices with more and more new features, pay more attention to their appearance. A variety of models allows you to choose your ideal gadget that meets individual priorities and goals. For some, the attractive exterior, ease of use or price is the deciding factor, for others it is the versatility, water resistance or, for example, a special way of wearing. So, let’s see what functions are available in general:
- measurement of heart rate, the function is especially useful for lovers of cardio training;
- sleep monitoring, this feature allows you to view the full statistics of deep and REM sleep phases during the night in the morning;
- automatic activity detection;
- counting the number of calories burned;
- smart silent alarm monitors the phases of sleep and wakes up at the moment when it will be easiest to wake up, within the time range you set;
- vibrating alert;
- the calorie content of the food eaten and the food diary in the application;
- calculation of the distance traveled, analysis of the current speed of movement thanks to the GPS module;
- determination of the level of VO2, that is, the amount of oxygen absorbed by the human body in 1 minute. This is a real indicator of the effectiveness of training or physical performance;
- The water resistance allows the fitness tracker to be used by swimmers or just put on and forget without worrying about getting wet. During the swim, the gadget will record the length of the distance and even show the number of strokes completed;
- measurement of air pressure in the atmosphere;
- the possibility of monitoring the functional state of the central nervous system and managing stress. What is the mechanism? The galvanic skin response sensor (as in a lie detector) registers the activity of the sweat glands, as a result of a number of defensive, emotional reactions of the body in case of anxiety or irritation;
- recognition of the type of activity, distinguishes various exercises and sports;
- call and sms notifications;
- time display;
- body temperature measurement;
- the ability to compete in achievements with friends through an application on a smartphone.
Depending on preferences, there is a choice of wearing method: a bracelet on the wrist, a clip on clothes, a pendant on the neck, an insole for shoes, an earpiece, a belt on the waist or chest, a tape on the head.
Benefits of fitness trackers:
- wide sports functionality;
- the battery lasts a long time;
- affordable pricing policy;
- convenient design, small weight and size of the device.
- a simple display or its complete absence.
Smart watches are very popular, look solid and can boast of their multitasking. By purchasing a gadget, you will receive a watch, a fitness tracker, smartphone functions and all this in one device.
What do fitness trackers and smartwatches have in common?
- pulse measurement;
- counting the number of steps;
- calculation of calories burned;
- smart alarm function;
- notification of calls and messages;
- analysis of the route traveled (distance, speed);
- time display.
Differences between smartwatches and fitness trackers:
- the presence of an operating system with an interface for a touch screen;
- the ability to answer calls and messages directly from the device;
- making calls and payments;
- support for third party applications.
Cons of smartwatches:
- size and weight are not conducive to round-the-clock wearing of the gadget;
- high price;
- short battery life, only 1-2 days.
Popular models :
Apple Watch Series 3,
Samsung Gear S3 Frontier
Samsung Gear S3 Classic
Huawei Watch 2
Xiaomi Huami Amazfit Watch
Garmin Fenix 3
Sony Smart Watch 3
Motorola Moto 360 (2 Gen)
Asus ZenWatch 3
LG Watch Sport
An economy option for those who have not yet felt the urgent need to purchase a special gadget is mobile applications. Even the most basic smartphone has an accelerometer and GPS module, which allows applications to register your activity, track sleep and count calories. Although this is not the most optimal solution, it is still better than nothing.
- inexpensive or completely free;
- measurement errors;
- the presence of distracting advertising;
- it is not always convenient to take with you, for example, for a run;
- quickly drain the battery of the smartphone.
The best fitness apps for Android:
7 Minute Exercise
The best fitness apps for iOS:
Fitness workouts from Runtastic,
Fitness workout diary. Fitness trainer for the gym,
Workout Tracker Gym Lok Exercize Trainer by JEFIT
Headphones that constantly fly out of your ears while running should be replaced with bandage headphones. Choose a multi-functional material, such as RunPhones, to keep the wind, cold and moisture out at the same time. Such a gadget will also be convenient to use in the gym, without being afraid to catch on anything. Wired and wireless BlueTooth models are available for purchase.